Skip to main content

Mercedes to cut petroleum out of lineup by 2015

By Jaymi Heimbuch Posted Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:23am PDT




In less than 7 years, Mercedes-Benz plans to ditch petroleum-powered vehicles from its lineup. Focusing on electric, fuel cell, and biofuels, the company is revving up research in alternative fuel sources and efficiency.

The German car company has a few new power-trains in the line-up that European journalists have had the opportunity to test out in the Mercedes facility in Spain. One vehicle includes the F700, powered by a DiesOtto engine that combines HCCI and spark ignition to get nearly the same efficiency as diesel, but minus the expensive after-treatment systems.

The engine can run on biofuels, and we may have a purchasable vehicle by 2010 -- a year that seems to be popular for the debut of a lot of new alternative fuel car models, making ’08 and ’09 simply thumb-twiddling years for consumers. I don’t know, maybe car makers just like the roundness of “2010.” The company’s next big step will be to launch a Smart electric car which is fuel and emission-free.

Anyway, Mercedes is looking into electric vehicles, both battery-powered and fuel-cell powered. Not only are models in development, but we’ve also seen the company making steps towards its zero-petroleum goal right now, from better cabs in London to li-ion battery improvements. The company also has about 100 Smart electric cars undergoing testing in London, with that favorite 2010 year as the projected market release date.

Mercedes is making serious investments, already putting nearly $4 million into the pot of its long-term Sustainable Mobility plan, with another nearly $1.4 billion going in before 2014.

While car models may be able to run on fuels other than gasoline or diesel, we have yet to find a method of both running and producing vehicles entirely free of fossil fuels. I’m waiting for a mainstream car line that creates renewable fuel, clean-running vehicles out of 100% recycled materials in plants run on 100% renewable, clean power … Will I even be alive when that finally happens? I have hope.

Via AutoblogGreen, The Sun; Photo Leonid Mamchenkov

source: http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/603/mercedes-to-cut-petroleum-out-of-lineup-by-2015.html

Popular posts from this blog

CompTIA+

Sometimes you just need a good distraction, and I randomly got the urge to study for an exam;  something I haven't done in years. I decided to look into network security and started watching some CompTIA training videos, and...it was all a bit too familiar. Apparently the search continues.

Juniper IS-IS summary

##################################################################################################### ## ISIS ##################################################################################################### # Be sure to set family iso on the interface to be placed into ISIS set interfaces <interface> family iso # By default Junos places interfaces as L1/L2 # Default route leaking:         L1 to L2 - all internal routes         L2 to L1 - 0/0 route # L1/L2 will send the attached-bit down to L1 and it will act as a NSSA-like area.  When the L1 interface # receives the attached-bit it will inject a 0/0 route into the RIB point to the L1/L2 interface. # To disable the attached bit use: set protocols isis ignore-attached-bit # Be careful with the "interface all" command, as it may have some unexpected consequences such as trying # to establish a neighbor on your fxp0 management...

The thing I didn't see coming

I keep forgetting I have this blog. But today felt like the right time to write something - something a bit more personal than usual. I want to talk about burnout. A while back I was deep in a very large infrastructure project. What started as a technical role slowly turned into something much broader - I found myself handling bits of legal, commercial negotiations, RFP work, supplier discussions. A lot of moving parts. And somewhere along the way, I realised I was doing most of it on my own. The late nights started adding up. Long calls with suppliers making sure the bill of materials was right, checking the solution actually held together end to end, always that nagging feeling that something had been missed somewhere. It just kept going. And then something shifted in me. It's hard to describe. I'd never experienced anything like it before - burnout, anxiety, call it what you want - but it hit me in a way I really wasn't prepared for. I've always been someone who...