Skip to main content

Tuesday Reflections – My First Day of Unemployment

It’s Tuesday, and it feels strange to say that today is my first day of being between jobs. There’s something unsettling about it. I’ve got four days off between my old position and my new one, and I’m trying to figure out how to make the most of it. The last time I switched jobs, I wrapped up on a Friday and started the new role the following Monday, which left me feeling completely drained. This time, I’ve learned from that mistake and decided to give myself a bit of breathing room (though with two little ones running around, it’s nearly impossible to do absolutely nothing—but I’m going to try!).

I recently picked up an intriguing book called Crucial Conversations, which caught my eye while I was researching the Five Whys technique. Maybe I’ll take refuge in a coffee shop, enjoy endless chai lattes, and dive into it. Who knows ...  I’ll figure it out tomorrow.

On a different note, I reconnected with an old friend today—someone I haven’t spoken to in a while but used to have the most amazing conversations with. He’s the kind of person who tells stories in such an engaging way that they stick with you for years. I still remember a sci-fi story he told me over two decades ago! Our chat today was exactly what I needed—it recharged me in a way I didn’t realize I missed.

Popular posts from this blog

CompTIA+

Sometimes you just need a good distraction, and I randomly got the urge to study for an exam;  something I haven't done in years. I decided to look into network security and started watching some CompTIA training videos, and...it was all a bit too familiar. Apparently the search continues.

Juniper IS-IS summary

##################################################################################################### ## ISIS ##################################################################################################### # Be sure to set family iso on the interface to be placed into ISIS set interfaces <interface> family iso # By default Junos places interfaces as L1/L2 # Default route leaking:         L1 to L2 - all internal routes         L2 to L1 - 0/0 route # L1/L2 will send the attached-bit down to L1 and it will act as a NSSA-like area.  When the L1 interface # receives the attached-bit it will inject a 0/0 route into the RIB point to the L1/L2 interface. # To disable the attached bit use: set protocols isis ignore-attached-bit # Be careful with the "interface all" command, as it may have some unexpected consequences such as trying # to establish a neighbor on your fxp0 management...

The thing I didn't see coming

I keep forgetting I have this blog. But today felt like the right time to write something - something a bit more personal than usual. I want to talk about burnout. A while back I was deep in a very large infrastructure project. What started as a technical role slowly turned into something much broader - I found myself handling bits of legal, commercial negotiations, RFP work, supplier discussions. A lot of moving parts. And somewhere along the way, I realised I was doing most of it on my own. The late nights started adding up. Long calls with suppliers making sure the bill of materials was right, checking the solution actually held together end to end, always that nagging feeling that something had been missed somewhere. It just kept going. And then something shifted in me. It's hard to describe. I'd never experienced anything like it before - burnout, anxiety, call it what you want - but it hit me in a way I really wasn't prepared for. I've always been someone who...