Skip to main content

In love with Golang

I’ve always been the type of person who enjoys a good challenge—whether it’s figuring out a new skill or diving into something I have no idea about. Recently, my latest obsession has been cloud-native programming. I got involved in a project that’s all about acquiring cloud-native applications for telecoms, and it felt like the perfect excuse to push my limits.

Now, let’s be clear—I don’t code every day. I don’t even get the chance to write code as often as I’d like. And when I do, it takes me a minute to remember how things work. 

Here’s the thing—I know I’ll never be a “proper” programmer and I’m not trying to be. But that doesn’t stop me from pushing myself. My goal is simple: keep learning, keep getting better, and see how far I can take it.

One thing I’ve discovered along the way is how much I love Golang. I’ve dabbled in Python, but Golang just clicks for me. It’s that sweet spot where things make sense and don’t feel as clunky. It even helped me have some solid technical conversations with potential suppliers for my project—which, for me, was a big win.
So while I may not code every day or have everything down perfectly, I’m excited about where this journey is taking me. Learning cloud-native programming has been an adventure, and I’m here for it—one chapter at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

CompTIA+

Sometimes you just need a good distraction, and I randomly got the urge to study for an exam;  something I haven't done in years. I decided to look into network security and started watching some CompTIA training videos, and...it was all a bit too familiar. Apparently the search continues.

Juniper IS-IS summary

##################################################################################################### ## ISIS ##################################################################################################### # Be sure to set family iso on the interface to be placed into ISIS set interfaces <interface> family iso # By default Junos places interfaces as L1/L2 # Default route leaking:         L1 to L2 - all internal routes         L2 to L1 - 0/0 route # L1/L2 will send the attached-bit down to L1 and it will act as a NSSA-like area.  When the L1 interface # receives the attached-bit it will inject a 0/0 route into the RIB point to the L1/L2 interface. # To disable the attached bit use: set protocols isis ignore-attached-bit # Be careful with the "interface all" command, as it may have some unexpected consequences such as trying # to establish a neighbor on your fxp0 management...

The thing I didn't see coming

I keep forgetting I have this blog. But today felt like the right time to write something - something a bit more personal than usual. I want to talk about burnout. A while back I was deep in a very large infrastructure project. What started as a technical role slowly turned into something much broader - I found myself handling bits of legal, commercial negotiations, RFP work, supplier discussions. A lot of moving parts. And somewhere along the way, I realised I was doing most of it on my own. The late nights started adding up. Long calls with suppliers making sure the bill of materials was right, checking the solution actually held together end to end, always that nagging feeling that something had been missed somewhere. It just kept going. And then something shifted in me. It's hard to describe. I'd never experienced anything like it before - burnout, anxiety, call it what you want - but it hit me in a way I really wasn't prepared for. I've always been someone who...